Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spaghetti Tacos

Yes, you read that correctly and you saw that picture correctly.  That is spaghetti in a taco shell.  And no, I have not completely lost my mind.  If you have a tween at home, you either have made these too or your child has begged you to make them.  If you don't have a tween, let me explain.  There is a little show on Nickelodeon called iCarly.  I use the term little loosely.  The show is everywhere.  It's about a high school girl, named Carly of course, who has a web show, called iCarly of course, and is being raised by her older brother Spenser.  One night Spencer makes spaghetti tacos for dinner.  It started out as a joke on the show, but then they made it a regular thing.  Alex, my nine year old stepdaughter, has been begging me forever to make spaghetti tacos.  I have refused.  They just sound nasty.  She is on fall break right now and the first thing she asked when she arrived at the beginning of the week was of course for spaghetti tacos.  And guess what?  I caved.  The look on her face when I finally agreed was pure shock and excitement.  I swear, I have never seen the child so excited about dinner before.  The day after I finally caved, I found this article on the New York Times online.  A few days after that another article showed up on Yahoo.  I couldn't escape the crazy things!  So I finally quit putting them off and made them tonight.  The results?  One extremely happy nine year old, one wishy washy husband, and one confused stepmom.  I'm glad I made Alex happy, but there was just something not natural about spaghetti in a taco shell for me.  I'm sure Alex will request them again soon and when she does, I think I will stick with my spaghetti on a plate and not in a taco shell.

1 comment:

  1. We watch iCarly at our house. Grace is still too young for it, but we like to keep something family-friendly on the tv when she is awake.

    My husband has been wanting to try spaghetti tacos for a while! :)

    I'm stopping by from the Wednesday Window!

    http://www.underthebigoaktree.com/2010/10/wordless-wednesday-so-serious.html

    Alison
    www.underthebigoaktree.com

    ReplyDelete